RPM Question (new OS :)

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Aug 30 10:31:56 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 19:37, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 02:46, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I am beginning to consider upgrading the OS on the machine
> >>used to build RTEMS RPMs from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora Core 1.  Would
> >>this cause anyone issues?
> >
> > It depends on what you mean ;)
> >
> > If you mean to discontinue rh7.3-built binaries and replace them by FC1
> > compiled binaries, then this will probably render rpms and binaries
> > unusable for many users (RH < FC1; probably all Debian and SuSE users).
> > So I'd rather not discontinue supporting rh7.3.
>
> Me either but I hate to keep doing development on a 7.3 box also.
>
> > Adding FC1 compiled binaries and making it your primary host/testing
> > system, however would be fine with me.
>
> OK.
>
> > Work-around: Build rh7.3 binaries in a rh7.3 chroot on FC1.
>
> Do you have a URL/FAQ handy?

Unfortunately no.

Basically, it is rather simple:

To getting started, make an exact copy of your current
rh7.3-installation into a separate directory (e.g. /usr/local/rh7.3).

You then should be able to
# chroot /usr/local/rh7.3 <-- This is inside of your host environment.
# su -l <rtemsuser> <-- This is inside of the chroot environment.

At this point you should be able to build rpms in an environment that
looks identical to what you currently see.

>   I assume that you have dome this before yourself.
I am using "mach". It applies a similar approach as outlined above,
except that it dynamically sets up the chroot environments and
(essential difference) uses the host's rpm to administrate the rpms
inside of the chroot (Above the chroot'ed system's rpm is used).

Unfortunately "mach" is rather tedious to setup, questionable in its
internal working principles and immature in its implementation.
Furthermore, a couple of more tools (esp. apt-get, aptate) are involved.

Explaining how to use it for building RTEMS rpms would exceed the amount
of spare time I currently have available.

Ralf