features supported in posix port

Keith Robertson kjrobert at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Dec 7 16:02:01 UTC 2004

As suggested by my earlier post I'm interested in the posix port of
rtems (among others).

Previous list postings[*] seem to indicate that various features are not
supported in the posix port.  From what I can gather from mailing lists,
configure[**], and various .cfg files, I believe this is the status:

Supported:
c++ (need to manually add -lstdc++ to the make-exe rule)

Not supported:
libposix (no, according to bsp.cfg and target.cfg)
networking (no,according bsp.cfg BUT yes, according to target.cfg![***])
itron (all cfg files say no)
mp (all cfg files say no)
rdbg (presumably not a lot of demand for this!)

AFAICT, no source from the posix (cpukit/posix/src) and networking
(cpukit/libnetworking/src) directories is compiled.  So this seems
reasonably definitive :)

Can anybody confirm if this is indeed the current status?  I am
particularly interested in the posix and networking features and am
willing to look into making the necessary changes to support these two.
  Any pointers/information/places to start looking about how to add
support for these features would be very useful.  Information as to why
they aren't currently supported might also be useful.

Additionally, provided I get sufficiently far, I am willing to write up
my experiences in the shape of an 'RTEMS UNIX Port Applications
Supplement' which is currently missing.  So if you've got any
information stored up about the posix port, feel free to dump it on me
and I'll see if I can turn it into a coherent document on the port.

If nothing else, I will write up something explaining the confirmed
status of the port, how to get the applications to compile when c++ is
enabled, and that the fileio sample seems not to compile under any of
the various posix port configurations.

Cheers,

Keith

[*]
http://www.rtems.com/rtems/maillistArchives/rtems-users/2000/october/msg00189.html

[**] All files and information gleaned from a clean build of rtems with
the following configure statement:
../rtems-4.6.2/configure --enable-posix --enable-networking --enable-cxx
--prefix=/opt/rtems-4.6.2-posix

[***] relevant section from default auto generated target.cfg:
RTEMS_HAS_POSIX_API = no
RTEMS_HAS_ITRON_API = no
RTEMS_HAS_NETWORKING = yes
RTEMS_HAS_RDBG = no