Anyone know this paper?

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 15 18:45:40 UTC 2004

"Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com>" <joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com> writes:
 > http://vlsi.ee.duth.gr/amdrel/papers/date04.pdf
 >
 > It is about dynmic memory allocation but I think they
 > missed the boat on the RTEMS reference.  They appear
 > to think that the RTEMS region/heap manager is based
 > on a paper from 2001 which also used the term region.
 >
 > The RTEMS heap design dates back to the earliest days
 > of RTEMS and certainly predates a paper from 2001.

I think they missed a lot of boats.  Its a pretty superficial
treatment of memory allocation.

The cites here

http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/indices/a-tree/b/Bonwick:Jeff.html

and also referenced

http://www.os-help.org/slab_allocators-542520-4686-a.html

treat the issue exhaustively, from userspace all the way down to
scalability on SMP systems and cache-friendliness.  I think the people
who did the paper you identified didn't do enough homework ahead of
time.

Gregm