QEMU Update

Lars Munch lars at segv.dk
Thu Dec 16 19:30:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:36:46PM -0600, Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com> wrote:

> After building from source on a sufficiently powerful machine
> and running from the "X11 console", it works using the old
> grub image.  I noticed one bug in qemu versus bochs.  When
> you press a key to reboot, it fails to reboot in qemu
> and this works in bochs.  Any thoughts?

Have have the same problem with the old grub image, but I do not have
this problem with latest RTEMS cvs.

> I am moving on to trying a recently build application
> and then the networking.  Hopefully good news soon. :)

I have been using the network for some time now and is seems to work very
well.

I have also tried to get ATA up and running, but have not succeded with
that yet. My first problem was that ATA_COMMAND_EXECUTE_DEVICE_DIAGNOSTIC
was not supported in qemu 0.6.1 so this has been added and is now on the
qemu cvs. My next problem (after qemu had DEVICE_DIAGNOSTIC added) was
that RTEMS would lock up in ata_process_request_on_init_phase waiting
for the status ready in :

   do {
        ide_controller_read_register(ctrl_minor, IDE_REGISTER_STATUS, &byte);
    } while ((byte & IDE_REGISTER_STATUS_BSY)
             || (!(byte & IDE_REGISTER_STATUS_DRDY)));

By removing the wait for IDE_REGISTER_STATUS_DRDY it found my primary disk
drive. It could not find my secondary disk drive, but from what I can
see in the RTEMS ata_initialize functions and the mailing list archive,
this is an RTEMS problem. Anyway, then I tried so initialize the
partition table and RTEMS did send the proper ATA command but then it
got stock waiting for a semaphore never being released. I have not had
the time to investigate this futher.

Regards
Lars Munch