network driver question (broadcast)

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Mon Feb 23 17:56:18 UTC 2004

Feng, Shuchen wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> It turns out the packets I got from the receive queues
> are the broadcast packets.  Should the RTEMS network
> driver handle the broadcast packets in the rxDaemon?
> Probably not!  Correct ?  I tested the driver of the
> mvme2307, and it seems that the rxDaemon did not see
> broadcast packets at all.  Perhaps, it is handled
> in cpukit/libnetworking/net ?
>
> Thanks,
> Kate

How do you think the network stack should work if you
throw away / ignore broadcast packets??? Fundamental
protocols (e.g. ARP) need that functionality.

The driver doesn't know of or handle any packet directly
but passes everything (broadcasts, unicasts or unicasts
directed to other hosts [promiscuous mode] etc.) up the TCP/IP
stack which in its wisdom takes care of everything.

HTH
-- Till