gmake[2]: execvp: m68k-rtems-gcc: Too many levels of symbolic links

Gordon Scott g.rtems.a at gscott.co.uk
Mon Feb 23 23:19:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> In general, a short path is better than a long path for a number of
> reasons. :)

Yes indeed. I wonder that so many applications/toolsets come with their
own separate install areas. Perhaps that's the influence of M$.
A few years back it would be just ~/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin
Now it's about 400 characters.

> I recommend putting the RTEMS directory first in your PATH as a general
> rule because if you need the RTEMS speific automake or autoconf, then
> it MUST be ahead of the system default.

It's now ahead of the defaults, but previously was not. But it's still
after the toolset for eCos, which I'm also considering for this app,
and jdk. Maybe it's time to start mapping PATH specifically for each
project .. Tedious and mistake-prone, though :-(

Thanks, regards,
		Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott				  http://www.gscott.co.uk

		Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.

Hey, I'm looking for a new job!           See ->  http://www.gscott.co.uk