anybody using mvme167 BSP with networking?

Till Straumann strauman at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Wed Feb 25 00:48:54 UTC 2004

Chris Johns wrote:
> Till Straumann wrote:
>
>> Is there anybody out there using the mvme167BSP's
>> networking driver?
>

> How different is the 82596 from the 82586 ?
>
> My data book is not handy so cannot look it up, but if they are close
> the i82586 in libchip works well on a mvme172. I seem to remember them
> being close but could be mistaken.

The 596 has a 586 compatibility mode.

>> I found that it has quite some bugs and does funny
>> things like potentially busy-waiting for a second
>> or call 'printf' from ISR context !!
>>
>> Does anybody have experience with this driver? Who
>> is supporting it?
>>

> I ported the 82586 driver in libchip. I have a mvme172 setup file
> somewhere if you are interested.

Yes, I'm interested. The 586/libchip driver looks much better.
Any driver with an ISR longer than 30 lines looks suspicious to
me ;-)

Thanks,
-- Till