GCC build problem

Duncan Smith DASmith at space.qinetiq.com
Mon Jan 12 17:23:28 UTC 2004

Hi
I have found the following problem whilst attempting to install GCC to use
with RTEMS. I'd be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on it for
me.
regards
Duncan

The problem
=========
I am attempting to build gcc for use with RTEMS. I have applied the RTEMS
patch as indicated in the "Getting started ..." document and also placed the
appropriate link for the similarly patched newlib. During the make all step
the build fails to compile gmon.c citing the absence of a number of header
files such as feature_tests.h. These files are resident on the host already
though the xgcc statement for this step specifically uses the option
-nostdinc to force the process not to use the standard files.

Copying the standard system header files into the include path seems like a
reasonable fix, but can anyone offer advice on whether they require any
modification? Alternatively, have I configured incorrectly and prevented the
header files from being constructed automatically?

Background info
============
-       I am attempting to build gcc-3.2.1 as this is the latest version
available from the RTEMS ftp site with a corresponding RTEMS diff file. I am
using newlib-1.10 with its corresponding diff file for the same reason.

-       The intended build, installation and target platform is
sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 and this is apparently recognised by the configure
script. The present intended application is to use gcc with RTEMS to compile
for posix.

-       I have followed the installation instructions supplied with gcc to
deduce the appropriate configure options and consequently omitted any
--target= option for a native build. (NB I have also tried
--target=sparc-rtems though this leads to other build failure problems).

-       I have not already installed binutils as I am using the gcc v2.8 to
build v3.2.1. Gcc 2.8 is already installed natively on the host machine.

The information contained in this email and any subsequent
correspondence is private and is intended solely for the
intended recipient(s). For those other than the intended
recipient(s) any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any
action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such
information is prohibited and may be unlawful.