Bug in rtems_task_set_priority()

Kenneth Peters Kenneth.J.Peters at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 16 16:19:41 UTC 2004

It looks like the main line of code leading to 4.6 has a fix (since 2001,
actually) similar to what Thomas has suggested. All the semaphore/mutex
routines were streamlined at the same time, so it's hard to tell by
inspection whether the problem I was having is fixed, but it looks like
using non-priority-inheriting binary semaphores would do what I want.

I think the philosophical point is that in 4.5.0, all binary semaphores
(inheriting and non-inheriting) really need to be treated as tokens, where
a task that takes them must release them, or inheritance can get confused.
In 4.5.1+, it looks like non-inheriting binary semaphores can be used for
task synchronization where obtains and releases are not paired in each
task, but I'm not sure whether inheriting binary semaphores must still be
treated as tokens.

For my needs, I will probably use 4.5.0 counting semaphores. I lose the
ability to use priority inheritance on them, but since I am not using them
as mutexes, I can get away with that. I might make myself a function to set
the semaphore maximum_value to be one, so they will act as binary
semaphores in that respect. Once 4.6 is officially released, all troubles
will be things of the past :-)

Ken Peters
Ken.Peters at jpl,nasa.gov