where to find binary for RTEMS

Angelo Fraietta afraiett at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jul 6 20:33:17 UTC 2004

Alireza Mahdian wrote:

>dear all
>
>i've built RTEMS for pc686 but i don't  know how to
>boot it. i mean i am looking for some sort of binary
>executable file which is the whole OS and then i boot
>my pc with that binary file. is this how RTEMS works.

What happens is that you build your application and you end up with an
executable that has the operating system in it.
There are some examples built when you first build RTEMS -- one of them
is ticker. I will use this example for how to boot your PC with it. This
is the way I do it and have found that it is the easiest to use. Others
may disagree, but each to his/her own

First, make a Dos bootable floppy.
Second, search for the file called "ticker.exe" and copy it to the floppy
Next, download eXtender from
http://freedos-32.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
Unzip it and copy the file to the floppy disk. The file is called "x.exe"

Boot your PC with the floppy. You should be at the dos prompt.
Start the RTEMS program by typing at the command prompt
x ticker.exe

The Ticker example should boot.

Warmest regards

--