How to enable IP Forwarding in RTEMS

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Thu Jun 3 04:42:25 UTC 2004

Jay Monkman wrote:

> I think you should be able to do it via a sysctl(). I'm not sure how
> the sysctl interface works, but it should be very close to BSD.
> Perhaps something like this:
> 	int new = 1;
>
> 	sysctlbyname("net.inet.ip.forwarding",
>    	             NULL, NULL
> 	             &new, sizeof(new));

In theory you should, but I am not sure if this sysctl is in the stack
and works. Best way to find out is to try. I provided enough support to
get NetSNMP to report valid MIB data.

My limited understanding of how the interface works is by the kernel
automatically registering various services to the sysctl manager. This
is a linker managed process to create special sections. This means you
can add or remove sysctl parts by linking in or not linking the specific
object files. The sysctl manager is a text name to function translation.

  [hint: a similar system could be followed and used for score
         manager initialisation :-)]

--
  Chris Johns