Timer resolution et al

Wed Mar 10 12:17:59 UTC 2004

Brian is correct.  a 10 microsecond clock tick is going to end up with you
spending nearly all the CPU time serving tick interrupts.  Having a 2nd
source
for benchmark purposes is the ideal solution.

The current pc386 timer is setup to use the TSC register for p5 and above.
On 486 and below it uses the same timer hardware as the clock tick driver.
If you can change it so on 486 and below it uses different hardware, it is
a welcome patch.

--joel