gdb patches on FreeBSD 4.9 stable

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Fri Mar 12 17:24:51 UTC 2004

On Mar 12, 2004, at 12:13 PM, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Pardon, but I must be missing something, RTEMS doesn't have sys/ipc.h
> nor sys/shm.h.
>
> If I understand you correctly, you seem to describe a problem when
> building gdb for *-rtems targts on FreeBSD. In this case, you should
> try
> to discuss this issue with the gdb maintainers.
>
> Ralf

'Tag Ralf.  I'm talking about the GDB patches that I downloaded from
the RTEMS web site that are applied to gdb-5.3/sim/ppc.

Those patches add the files hw_shm.c and hw_sem.c (I believe, as the
".orig" files are zero-size).

As why FreeBSD is wrong and why sys/ipc.h is redundant - I looked up
"shm.h" and single unix specification on google.  The link is:

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/sysshm.h.html

the relevant text is:

"The pid_t, time_t, key_t and size_t types are defined as described in
<sys/types.h>...
In addition, all of the symbols from <sys/ipc.h> will be defined when
this header is included."

Thus I decided that by rights only <sys/shm.h> need be included to use
the shared memory stuff, but since the RTEMS modifications to gdb
already include <sys/ipc.h>, it might as well include <sys/types.h> and
make everybody happy.

Peter

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.