Build problem

James Yates j.yates at quartzuk.com
Thu Mar 25 09:52:26 UTC 2004

Cheers for the help guys. This has been a really perplexing problem. I finally got it to build just before I went home last night. I have tried all the usual according to posts I saw in the list such as disabling 16 bit execution and finally it built.

However, I came into work this morning and thought I would try a build, which failed. I have done a bit of investigation and after listing the differences between my old pc that always works and the new I have, I had a sudden realisation.

My old PC is an Athlon 1.66Ghz. My new PC is a P4 2.8Ghz. I then peformed a little test. I rebooted my PC running Win2k logged onto the domain, waited for all startup scripts to finish then ran outlook. After this I then ran a CYGWIN bash shell and tried a build. I followed this exact same procedure through my testing.

The first time I tried it failed. I repeated the test, rebooting etc as explained. Still failed. I then rebooted and disabled Hyper-Threading in the BIOS, this time the build succeeded. Rebooted again and succeeded. I then turned Hyper-threading back on and the test failed twice consecutively. I have just turned Hyper-Threading off and everything is fine.

I therefore conclude that, certainly for particular environment, turning off Hyper-Threading causes builds in CYGWIN to fail. So if you have a P4 pc, give this a try. I am interested to know if this fixes the same problem on other peoples PC.

	Good luck and thanks for the help.

			James