newlib 1.12

Wed May 5 14:44:50 UTC 2004

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 12:55, Sebastian Fischmeister wrote:
>
>>Hello.
>>
>>  Did anyone manage to port the newlib-rtems patch to version 1.12?
>
> Porting? Newlib is supposed to support RTEMS "out of the box", without
> any "porting".
 >
> Most of the patches to newlib-1.11.0 the current RTEMS toolchains are
> using are either very target specific additions, backports from 1.12.0
> or adaptations to newer RTEMS.
>
> Merging them into newlib-1.12.0 is trivial.

AFAIK every acceptable part of the RTEMS newlib 1.11.0 patch was merged.
I just did a quick review of the last 1.11.0 patch and all that remains
that was not merged is the ARM memcpy from NetBSD with an advertising
clause (unaccceptable to merge) and a patch to libc/stdio/findfp.c
in _cleanup_r() which I would have to review to see if it was still
needed.  This fix was part of remving a leak.

>> I need
>>some features of version 1.12
>
> Which? I am not aware about any substantial changes to newlib.

I'm curious here also.  I remember lots of wide character patches
on the mailing list but nothing I thought was critical.

>> and thus I could re-use this patch.
>
> As I said above, adapting the RTEMS newlib-1.11.0 patches to
> newlib-1.12.0 and building the toolchains with newlib-1.12.0 should be
> trivial, but ...
> * In general, new releases of newlib tend to break RTEMS subtly.

Yes.  The .h files are intertwined and sometimes things break.

> * Until now, I am not aware of anybody actually having tried
> newlib-1.12.0

I haven't yet.