IP address woes

Angelo Fraietta afraiett at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 20 03:57:43 UTC 2004

Scott Newell wrote:

>At 12:55 PM 5/20/2004 +1000, Angelo Fraietta wrote:
>

>>Scott Newell wrote:
>>

>>>At 06:49 AM 5/19/2004 +1000, Angelo Fraietta wrote:>>   </pre>>>

>work properly with my RTEMS >> project and my Mac.>> >> Any idea's of what
>to look for?>>     >> </blockquote>>> >> ARP?>>   >>
>Resolution Protocol, I think.  It's the layer of code that handles
>conversion between ethernet MAC addresses and the IP addresses.  Until
>the MAC address of both devices is present in the ARP cache on both
>machines, they won't be able to establish an IP connection.<br>>> <br>>>
>Under win2k (or NT), open a command prompt (dos box) and type "arp
>-a".  It should show you the current ARP cache of the windows
>machine.  I don't know the mac equivalent...it's probably "arp
>-a" as well under OS X.  (If you need to manually add an entry
>for your embedded board, there's probably a way to do that too..."arp

Shouldn't this be automaitically added to the cache in RTEMS when I
receive the brodcast address? RTMES is able to determine the IP address
when it receives teh bradcast message (I know because I can see it on
the console). Shouldn't it be added to the cache in the IP layer?

--
Angelo Fraietta

PO Box 859
Hamilton NSW 2303