IP address woes

Angelo Fraietta afraiett at bigpond.net.au
Thu May 20 06:15:30 UTC 2004

Chris Johns wrote:

> Angelo Fraietta wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't this be automaitically added to the cache in RTEMS when I
>> receive the brodcast address? RTMES is able to determine the IP
>> address when it receives teh bradcast message (I know because I can
>> see it on the console). Shouldn't it be added to the cache in the IP
>> layer?
>

> I assume you are referring to the ARP cache. This is the IP layer to
> Datalink layer mapping protocol. I do not know of other cached info in
> the IP layer.
>
> I do not think the ARP cache is updated on incoming IP packets. I have
> a number of Windows machines that do SMB broadcasts and my API cache
> (Linux) does not show these machines.

You are right in that it is not in the arp cache - I tested with arp - a
, and the RTEMS machine was definately not there on the list - even
though it responded back directly. Is there a way to set it  to load it
to the cache when it receives a message?

Also, when the RTEMS is unable to respond to the broadcast from the mac,
it is able to respond to a broadcast from the Windows machine. Why is
that the case? When this occurs, I unplug and replug my mac back in, and
RTEMS can now find it - but the mac still can't find the RTEMS.

How does a ping work? The machine pinging does not yet have the ethernet
address before the ping?

> Broadcasting an IP packet from MacOS will not require an ARP request
> as the MacOS will know to use the Ethernet MAC broadcast address
> (ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff). The RTEMS machine will respond and send a
> directed packet to the MacOS's IP address. This will require an ARP
> request from the RTEMS box and the MacOS machine to respond. The MacOS
> machine may also update its ARP cache with the RTEMS box's data when
> responding [1]. Both ends will have each other in their ARP cache. You
> should now check each end and make sure they are both valid.

OK - I understand

> Goggle gave me this link for commands you can use to debug your problem:
>
>  http://www.cromwell-intl.com/tcpip/commands.html
>
> Look for the ARP cache commands. RTEMS has a function you can call
> that will dump the ARP cache.
>
> This may not be your problem, but an incorrectly byte swapped IP
> address in application code could cause this sort of problem. The
> Windows machine is a certain byte order while the MacOS code is the
> opposite and the code breaks.

I don't think that this is the case.

--
Angelo Fraietta