Easy DOSFS question

Bogdan Vacaliuc bvacaliuc at ngit.com
Thu Nov 25 15:48:45 UTC 2004

Hello Everyone,

I've been busy over the last couple of months and unfortunately have been unable to contribute.  However, I can offer some snippets
of working code we have used in other projects.  As you can see below, Thomas is quite right, it is simply a walk of the free
cluster list in the FAT.  The total space can be obtained from the boot parameter block.

[Excuse the RDCF-isms, but the code is fairly self-explanatory.  It also suffers from the 2GB limit, sorry.  You probably want to
report back size in logical blocks, and have a way of getting the block size, though it is generally 512 bytes.]

This information should be available to the filesystem driver.  One could add an IOCTL or something.

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

-bogdan

/*************************************************************************
 Function: rdcf_free_space
 */
//! Return the amount of free space in the file system.
/*! \ingroup rdcf2
This routine Return the amount of free space in the file system, in bytes.

\return The amount of free space.
*************************************************************************/
long int rdcf_free_space(struct rdcf *f      /*!< A pointer to the FCB. */
                        )
{
  rdcf_cluster_t cluster;
  rdcf_size_t number_of_empty_clusters = 0;

  //if ((f->result=setjmp(f->error)) != 0) return (long)(f->result);
  error_init(f,long);

  initialize_fcb(f, NULL);

  for (cluster = 2; cluster <= f->maximum_cluster_number; cluster++)
  {
    if (FAT_entry(f, cluster) == EMPTY_CLUSTER) number_of_empty_clusters++;
  }

  f->file.size = number_of_empty_clusters * (f->sectors_per_cluster * SECTOR_SIZE);

  return (long)(f->file.size);
}

/*************************************************************************
 Function: rdcf_total_space
 */
//! Return the total amount of space in the file system.
/*! \ingroup rdcf2
This routine returns the total amount of space in the file system, in bytes.

\return The bytes in the filesystem.
*************************************************************************/
long int rdcf_total_space(struct rdcf *f      /*!< A pointer to the FCB. */
                        )
{
//  rdcf_cluster_t cluster;
//  rdcf_size_t number_of_empty_clusters = 0;

  //if ((f->result=setjmp(f->error)) != 0) return (long)(f->result);
  error_init(f,long);

  initialize_fcb(f, NULL);

  return (long)(f->maximum_cluster_number-2) * (f->sectors_per_cluster * SECTOR_SIZE);
}