Eclipse

Mark VanderVoord markvandervoord at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 13 17:09:28 UTC 2004

Steve:

I have a configuration similar to what you describe,
but not exact.  I am using Eclipse with CDT as a cross
development platform for RTEMS.  In the past I had
(briefly) tried to use MinGW as my cross-compilation
tools.  I was not very successful with that.  Instead,
I am running cygwin to run the cross platform tools.

Very little is required to change the behavior of CDT
to support cross development.  You will need to
retarget the make and gdb calls to point at your
platform-specific tools, instead of the default ones
that are packaged with CDT.  This can be done through
the "make targets" pane and the debug drop down menu.

I am currently running Eclipse 2.1 and CDT 1.2.  There
are much newer versions of each, but I haven't had
time to update them recently.

Because Eclipse references any standard GDB
implementation with the machine interface, it can be
used in place of Insight to directly debug your code.
I have had varying luck on this, as the machine
interface seems to be lacking or buggy, depending on
which cross compiler tool I am working with.  Other
targets have worked beautifully.  At worst, it is easy
to configure Eclipse to launch Insight when needed.

Anything else you would like to know about this?

Mark S VanderVoord
Self-Guided Systems, LLC