RTEMS 4.6.2 BSP support

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Fri Oct 22 13:08:42 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 14:08, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
> Thomas Doerfler wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > apart from the comments of Joel and Ralf: Surely it
> > is possible to extract the new BSPs from CVS and
> > integrate them locally into the RTEMS 4.6.2 source
> > tree, but this might require a lot of tinkering...
>
> At this point, there have been mostly changes to:
>
>    + reduce Makefiles from ~1400 -> ~400
>    + eliminate trailing spaces in files
>    + move c/src/tests to testsuites
>    + transition to ISO C 99 types like int32_t
     + Source code dependency tracking.
     + Standardization of Makefiles.
     + header installation directory cleanup.

> So the Makefile's have to be completely different
> is the current biggest issue.

A matter of perspective - IMO, this step is amongst the most important
advances.

The #1 advance to me is the header installation directory cleanup - This
is the step which makes shipping binaries possible).

The #2 advance is dependency tracking, which now only is possible
because of having fundamentally redesigned the Makefiles and having
dumped the old Makefiles.

> So in theory it is possible but it is becoming harder
> and harder depending upon where you are patching.
Early submission encouraged - Now is the time to jump on the train ;)

Ralf