Development Plan Proposal for Unifying Interrupt and PCI APIs

Eric Valette eric.valette at free.fr
Tue Oct 26 21:36:00 UTC 2004

Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com> wrote:

> The IRQ code is not going to be rewritten to be like libchip.  It will
> NOT use indirect calls for IO accesses.

But it is exactly what the linux model does? So I'm a little bit lost.

> It can go in libcpu and will still be available to be compile time
> extended by the BSP.

I do really not understand why libcpu needs to be re-compiled when a
particular member of a processor familly is already supported. Or things
is libcpu are not really only (CPU family + CPU) dependent...

> There is no plan to pre-compile device drivers since you almost always
> want to modify or debug them.

I disagree but will not argue much  : Most of the time the only thing
you need to do at BSP level is effective IRQ connecting provided libchip
routine ISR(vector, handle) and hardware initialization of a drivers
(mostly IO access mapping whcih is usually CPU but sometimes BSP dependent).

-- eric