Reasons to Keep a BSP

Thu Oct 28 21:12:36 UTC 2004

I thought I would the primary factors in my thinking
to keep a BSP.  If a BSP doesn't trip one of these
rules, it is a likely candidate for deprecateion.

  + Currently available commercial board
  + Good Starting point for "System on Chip" CPU
  + BSP for free simulator
  + Custom board but only example for CPU model, feature, etc.
  + Used by an active maintainer and regular feedback provided

A BSP used by an active maintainer is a VERY high candidate
to keep for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Conversely, a board is a candidate for deprecation if:

   + no longer currently available hardware or free simulator
   + CPU model or family is out of production
   + custom board with no active maintainer

Just to get you thinking abot what can be deprecated. :)