cygwin build_alias issue

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Sep 1 18:58:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 18:33, Scott Newell wrote:
> At 10:44 AM 9/1/2004 , Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> >
> >Would you please run the script in the attachment below:
> >sh -x ./check.sh
> >and send its output.
>
> Coming right up:
>

> + expr xbuild_alias :
> .*[^_abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789]

Hmm, this script is a stripped down version of the code that appears to
fail inside of the configure script:

[cpukit/configure:624]

    expr "x$ac_envvar" : ".*[^_$as_cr_alnum]" >/dev/null &&
      { echo "$as_me: error: invalid variable name: $ac_envvar" >&2
      { (exit 1); exit 1; }; }

Your configure script log indicates the expr call above to fail, while
its counterpart in check.sh doesn't seem to fail. I had hoped it would
fail and give an indication for what might be going wrong :(

[To exclude DUEs: /dev/null is a writable character device?]

Next try: Could you try to strace this expr call in the original
configure script? I.e. to change the expr call into something similar to

    strace -o /tmp/log -f expr "x...."

Ralf