The "Out of mbuf clusters" problem

Chris Johns chrisj at rtems.org
Fri Sep 3 03:53:08 UTC 2004

Phil Torre wrote:

> With the default mbuf and mbuf cluster allocations, and the MPC860's
> caches turned off, it looks like the receive daemon can grab all of
> the available mbuf clusters before the network task has a chance to
> process any of them, resulting in deadlock.

If I assume your receiver cannot keep up so it will need to drop data.

What queue limits do you have for the receive queue ?

My understanding is MBUF queues have a limit count and MBUFs will not be
queued if the queue is full.

So why not tune the receiver's queue to drop the packet if full.

--
  Chris Johns