cygwin build_alias issue (and a possible workaround...)

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Mon Sep 6 17:30:37 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 18:51, Bogdan Vacaliuc wrote:
> Gene, Everyone,

No.

> I have downloaded and compiled the sources to both ash (ash-20040127-1) and
> bash (bash-2.05b with all 7 official patches applied).
Ash is known to be broken and bugged and to be of very limited use as a
general shell.

May advice: Forget about ash.

If you really want to try an alternative shell, any other
Bourne-compatible shell probably will be better.

> ftp://sources-redhat.mirror.redwire.net/pub/sources.redhat.com/cygwin/releas
> e/ash/
> ftp://aeneas.mit.edu/pub/gnu/bash/
>
> They are different.  ash is ash and bash is bash.
... you should have installed bash.exe as /bin/sh.exe

(There should be a corresponding entry in RTEMS FAQ or started).

> I enabled the TRACE in ash, however the output traces a lot of things, and
> with multiple processes, it becomes tedious to sort it all out.  I did,
> though and got the error with expr.log and built-in trace from ash.
Which would mean, either both bash and ash are affected by a bug
somewhere else or you do not have bash installed as /bin/sh.exe.

Ralf