cygwin build_alias issue (and a possible workaround...)

Bogdan Vacaliuc bvacaliuc at ngit.com
Wed Sep 8 13:51:11 UTC 2004

Ralf,

http://www.rtems.org/onlinedocs/releases/rtemsdocs-4.6.1/share/rtems/html/st
arted/started00073.html

Indeed.  I stand ashamed.

> > configure: error: invalid variable name: RTEMS_BSP
> This is the same symptom :-)

Yes.  Grrr.

> I.e. once the origin of this breakdown is known and can be
> deterministically reproduced and a work-around can be found,
> autoconf might be extended. Until then, there isn't much we
> can do, but to try isolating the bug.

It's funny, but it actually seems like replacing /bin/sh.exe with (some
version of) /bin/bash.exe actaully *causes* the error to occur more
frequently.

I noticed that the started.pdf lists bash 2.04.5, so I built that and ran
the limited test script on it, still fails.  I've been able to cause the
test script to fail quite consistently now on all bash versions:  2.04.5,
2.05b, 3.00.0

Hopefully, later this afternoon, I will pare-down a pair of scripts that I
think is generic enough to consistenly reproduce the problem and post them.

The issue is that expr returns a !0 value (correctly), which is lost to the
shell running configure (fault) and so executes the failure pipe.

All available versions of bash are subject to this failure.

Thanks,

-bogdan