Asynchronicity article - race conditions with Read_timer() ?

Andrew Sinclair andrews at elprotech.com
Wed Sep 8 22:57:28 UTC 2004

I came across an article on the internet entitled Asynchronicity. Refer
http://www.embedded.com/story/OEG20010615S0111

It states
"The RTEMS real-time operating system provided by OAR Corp.
(ftp://ftp.oarcorp.com/pub/rtems/releases/4.5.0/) is a nicely written,
well-organized product with a lot of neat features. But the timer handling
routines, at least for the Motorola 68302 processor, are flawed in a way
that will fail infrequently, but possibly catastrophically."

It speaks of race conditions with the Read_timer().

Is this a real issue? Has this been resolved?

I tried looking through the mailing lists by seaching for "Asynchronicity",
but unfortunately the search engine appears to hang.