mps32 was Re: upcoming snapshot and 4.6.2

Ralf Corsepius ralf_corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Sep 28 14:36:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 15:51, gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
> "Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com>" <joel.sherrill at OARcorp.com> writes:
>  > Jay Monkman wrote:
>  > > Can we get the MIPS32 support in? (I haven't checked lately, so maybe
>  > > it's alread in).
>  > >
>  >
>  > I don't know if it is in or not.  If it is very intrusive, it will
>  > have to go on the trunk.  But if it is mild and blessed (quickly)
>  > by you and Greg Menke, then it should be OK to go in.

Are you guys referring to the patches attached to PR601?

IMHO, with a couple of weeks ahead, I would not be opposed to adding
them to rtems-4-6-branch, but ATM, I think these patches are too
intrusive to be "rushed into 4.6" "last minute".

>  > This is one on the edge since it technically is a new feature but
>  > I understand it is satisfying a number of users, doesn't require
>  > a tool upgrade, and is hopefully minor.
Hmm, I know too little about the mips to be sure.

The essential question to me is:
Is -mips32 compiled code compatible to -mips1 compiled code?

> If you can hold off on closing 4.6.2 for today, I'll try and get it
> in.  Naturally all this comes along right in the middle of all the
> other deliverables...lol
Frankly speaking, I'd rather see these patches to go into cvs-trunk
first and then (optionally) backported to 4.6, later.

Ralf