Socket calls from timer functions (server based)

Smith, Gene SEA Gene.Smith at siemens.com
Wed Apr 13 12:55:20 UTC 2005

As an aside, there appears to be a error in the c user manual 4.6.1 and
4.6.2 editions that leave out the first parameter of
rtems_timer_initiate_server() that specifies the priority of the timer
server task. There is a constant RTEMS_TIMER_SERVER_DEFAULT_PRIORITY
which can provide the highest priority value to the task as the first
parameter. So it appears you can actually give the timer server task a
lower than maximum "default" priority. Yet it is still not dispatchable.

> All timers are processed from the one loop and delays as a
> result of processing  on TSR will effect all the other timers.
> Any function with the possibility of blocking should not be
> called from a TSR. Network calls can block (even setting
> socket options as they need to access mutex's) so therefore
> should not be called from a TSR.

Well right now I only have one timer so delays to others are not an
issue (yet). However, I see your point and will go ahead and just use a
regular (non-server based) timer to trigger a user task to do the socket
stuff.

> Hope that make sense.

Yes, thanks for noticing I was referring to server based TSRs!
-gene