RTEMS on AVR?

Evgeny Belyanco esp1 at kbkcc.ru
Wed Aug 3 15:13:43 UTC 2005

RC> Primarily:
RC> * RTEMS is not 16 bit clean (!).
RC> * Some parts of newlib need to be fixed.

>> I am not sure, that it is possible - due to low resources of AVR.
RC> That's what we want to find out.

RC> It definitely won't fit onto the small AVRs, but there are chances it
RC> could fit onto larger AVRs. ATM, avr support is more or less more an
RC> experiment aiming at "slimming down" RTEMS ("Tiny RTEMS") and at getting
RC> it 16 bit clean, but an actual target.

Tiny RTEMS is good idea, AVR - not.

1. Highest AVR like Mega128, Mega64 is not price effective in
comparison with modern ARM - Philips LPC2xxx, Atmel AT91SAM7S64, etc.

2. Atmel push customers to ARM - why??
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc3323.pdf

IMHO, Tiny RTEMS on LPC2116 or AT91SAM7S64 will bring a lot of users
to RTEMS, who now spending their time for uCOS-II, etc. And it is more
perspective for RTEMS future (IMHO).

If it is possible to build RTEMS for ARM target with min. req. 8kb RAM
& 32...48 kb FLASH (for system), and services better then uCOS-II, it
will be great!!

Evgeny Belyanco
Chief Designer KB KCC
* E-mail: ea at kbkcc.ru