Freescale MPC8247 and/or MPC5200 port ?

Victor V. Vengerov Victor.Vengerov at oktetlabs.ru
Thu Aug 18 14:04:23 UTC 2005

Joel Sherrill <joel at OARcorp.com> wrote:

> Victor V. Vengerov wrote:
>
>> Markku,
>>
>> We are planning BSP development for MPC5200 (5200Lite evaluation
>> board) and have made some preliminary analysis for this work.
>>
>> It looks like MPC5200 architecture is quite new, so most drivers
>> (serial, network, IDE, PCI, ...) and initialization code need to be
>> developed from scratch. From other side, 603e core is already
>> supported. We have not found BSP which is really similar to MPC5200
>> one. So my advice is to start from scratch looking to other powerpc
>> BSPs (score603e?) for reference.
>

> If it is a 603e core with a handful of on-CPU peripherals, talk to
> someone at FreeScale and try to get them to tell you if the on-CPU
> peripherals are the same as or similar to those on any other part.
>
> Many times they do not really advertise it but they are the same
> or slightly modified.  They really could be new but you might get
> lucky.

Yes, I know it. Actually I have compared their on-chip peripheral (at
least, FEC, ATA, DMA, PSC - Programmable Serial Controller) against at
least all m68k/coldfire and Motorola PowerPC chips supported in RTEMS.
Nothing similar. Also, we have looked into Linux kernel - MPC5200
peripheral drivers are separate from other ex-Motorola chips.

> The ep1a or mpc8260 may also be good BSPs to look at.  It largely
> depends on what the on-CPU peripherals look most like.

No, they are different - at least mpc8260, which is known to me and I'm
sure I have checked it.

Thanks,
Victor

--