RTEMS on AVR?

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Wed Aug 3 14:41:29 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 17:53 +0400, Evgeny Belyanco wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I found some info, that some peoples try to make port of RTEMS for
> Atmel AVR 8 bit RISC CPU.
>
> Are they success?
Partial, but not fully yet.

>  Is it now available sport of RTEMS for AVR?
Basically yes, but there still are vital parts missing.

Primarily:
* RTEMS is not 16 bit clean (!).
* Some parts of newlib need to be fixed.

> I am not sure, that it is possible - due to low resources of AVR.
That's what we want to find out.

It definitely won't fit onto the small AVRs, but there are chances it
could fit onto larger AVRs. ATM, avr support is more or less more an
experiment aiming at "slimming down" RTEMS ("Tiny RTEMS") and at getting
it 16 bit clean, but an actual target.

However, I would expect bringing avr rtems to actual HW not to be too
much work.

Ralf