Do RTEMS has a GDB Server?

Till Straumann strauman at slac.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 2 20:03:41 UTC 2005

Fabrício de Novaes Kucinskis wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>I would like to know more about the GDB Server inside RTEMS. I read about
>the work from people at Canon, but I still have some questions:
>
>1) Do this GDB Server works only for Intel and PowerPC BSPs?
>
>2) How can I enable and use it?

I never got this to work well. Also, it is quite old and cannot be
easily ported to more recent
versions of GDB.

Therefore, I decided to implement my own version based on the GDB
'remote' protocol.
It has the additional advantage that you can either use a serial line
(useful if you want
to debug a network driver or networking related code) or a  TCP connection.

You find it at

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/~strauman/rtems/

>3) What are the advantages over a regular monitor software ? (this one is to
>convince my bosses ;)

Source-level debugging. Also, even if your board has a firmware monitor
that is not necessarily
gonna work -- some RTEMS BSPs take over the entire machine and change memory
and/or exception vectors etc. in a way incompatible with the monitor.

HTH
-- Till