Toolchain advice needed (for nios2 port)

Waschk,Kolja rtems at telos.de
Mon Dec 5 14:06:30 UTC 2005

Hi

I'm currently looking into porting RTEMS on NIOS II. Obviously the first
step is to make sure the tools are adequate. I'm unsure if I should try to
use the nios2-elf tools from Altera as they are, and concentrate on work
only in RTEMS code, or if modifications to the toolchain itself are
unavoidable.

The current 5.1b73 toolchain is based on

  gcc 3.4.1
  newlib 1.12
  binutils 2.15

First tries with that tools (after I've placed a skeleton for nios2 support
in RTEMS source tree) promptly yielded problems with missing include files
(inttypes.h, to be exact, which should have been automatically copied
(PROVIDED_BY_RTEMS)) when compiling in the cpukit/score subtree, and the
stage where linking things becomes possible seems far away.

If it can't be avoided, are there some "generic" hints how to derive a
*-rtems toolchain from an existing *-elf toolchain? I'd really like to
concentrate on the OS code and application, not on the toolchain...

Kolja

P.S. Anyone else here who started something with RTEMS on NIOS and wants to
share his/her experiences?

--
Mr. Kolja Waschk
telos EDV Systementwicklung GmbH - Schlueterstrasse 16 - D-20146 Hamburg