RTEMS with ARM LPC2138

Ian Caddy ianc at goanna.iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 13 14:03:48 UTC 2005

Hi Sam,

 From a quick look at the datsheet, the main thing I would be worried
about is the amount of RAM (32KBytes) that is available.  The RTEMS
TCP/IP stack comes from the FreeBSD envinronment and is not friendly to
small memory footprints if you want to do any serious network
applications.  I would guess that you need somewhere between 50K-150K of
RAM to allow enough memory for the IP stack that is used in RTEMS.  This
  is just really for the mbufs (packet buffers and clusters) required
since every packet transmitted or received is going to take a single
1500 byte buffer.  Have a few sockets open at one time and this number
quickly rises.

Also, the device looks to only have one Ethernet MAC onboard.

We use the Coldfire family with external SDRAM which is cheap and
provides a large amount of space for networking type applications.

I have also had a look at the Atmel AT91 series, although they seem to
now only just getting their ARM implementations going.  The single chip
ones also have RAM memory size issues, but you could go for one of the
ARM9 cores, which have external memory access, but then I am sure the
Phillips also have these sorts of processors.

I hope this helps.

regards,

Ian Caddy