Event not timing out with a wait of 1 tick (and sometimes 2)

Wed Dec 14 13:29:08 UTC 2005

Steven Johnson wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Here is our stack trace, although I dont think it is very useful as GDB
> seems to have great difficulty stack tracing through our ISR.
>
> #0  _Watchdog_Tickle (header=0x5db1ec) at
> ../../../../../../rtems-distribution/cpukit/score/src/watchdogtickle.c:53
> #1  0x0009a7f4 in rtems_clock_tick () at
> ../../../../bare/lib/include/rtems/score/watchdog.inl:113
> #2  0x0002b3e0 in Clock_isr (vector=0) at
> Application/RTEMS/MPC860/BSP/Drivers/Clock/clock.cpp:74
> #3  0x00004594 in save_stackframe ()
> #4  0x00004594 in save_stackframe ()
> Previous frame identical to this frame (corrupt stack?)
>
> Im not sure it is a nested clock tick ISR in our target, because the way
> we have set it up our target shouldnt allow nesting ISR's, but i cant be
> sure.  In "watchdog insert" there is an "ISR Flash" with a suspicious
> comment about "if this causes problems comment it out"  and that is what
> we thought might be the root cause of the race condition, but we couldnt
> think of a way to be sure of this.

Since you are hacking on the source anyway, you could add a variable
which is set to note that you are at the flash and clear it when
interrupts are redisabled.  Then when the 0 at the head of the delta
chain occurs there is a bread crumb.  Several places could be marked
this way.

When you get the fault, check _ISR_Nest_level and check it.

> In answer to the question on whats the best fix, the perfectionist in me
> says 2), but the paranoiac in me says 1) so the pragmatist in me would
> suggest both 1) and 2).

Me too.  But I would really like to narrow down on what is causing this
in your case.  Jennifer is on a simulator where the number of
instructions between clock ticks is deliberately very low so the
application doesn't take forever when simulating.

> Rationale, the overhead of fix 1) is minimal (a compare with 0 and
> branch if eq, 2 instructions on most processors im used to) so it wont
> really have much of a speed effect on watchdog_tickle, so on the off
> chance that fix 2) doesnt actually fix all possibilities that cause this
> circumstance, we are still protected from the unforeseen.
>
> Another way to fix it (2 style) that wouldnt add any overhead, would be
> to change the delta time to be signed, and then pull it off if the
> decrement sends it 0 or -ve.  The only problem with this i can see is it
> halves the maximum duration of the delta.

Yes.  I thought about explicitly checking for 0xffffffff but am thinking
that your fix of 0 or 1 is sufficient.  I just want to know what is
causing this.

My overall suspicion is that a timer routine is firing and taking long
enough (or a set is taking long enough) that another ISR occurs and they
are nesting.  With Jennifer, it was two clock ticks.  In yours, we need
to narrow it down.