RTEMS port to Virtex-4/PowerPC

Robert S. Grimes rsg at alum.mit.edu
Wed Dec 14 13:29:57 UTC 2005

Hi all,

After many years of quietly monitoring RTEMS, while promoting it as
something to consider, I may finally have found an opportunity to use it
outside of a simple demo on Bochs!  The system I'm working on requires
the high-speed logic available in the new Xilinx Virtex-4 devices, and
I'm thinking of using the FX family that includes an embedded PowerPC
405 hard core processor.  I'll be buying a ML403 development board which
includes all the goodies (e.g. dual Ethernet, 8 MB Flash, 64 MB SDRAM,
Compact Flash interface, etc.)

Questions.

1. I suppose the processor I start with is libcpu/powerpc/ppc403 - is
this correct?

2. As for the BSP, do I start with libbsp/powerpc/gen405 - is this correct?

Anyway, I would be happy to share my experiences, time allowing of
course, and of course any hints or pointers would be greatly
appreciated!  If others are interested in collaborating, or just want to
see how it's going, let me know...

-Bob

RSG Associates
rsg at ll dot mit dot nospam dot edu