RTEMS port to Virtex-4/PowerPC

Kate Feng feng1 at bnl.gov
Wed Dec 14 15:45:53 UTC 2005

"Robert S. Grimes" wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After many years of quietly monitoring RTEMS, while promoting it as
> something to consider, I may finally have found an opportunity to use it
> outside of a simple demo on Bochs!  The system I'm working on requires
> the high-speed logic available in the new Xilinx Virtex-4 devices, and
> I'm thinking of using the FX family that includes an embedded PowerPC
> 405 hard core processor.  I'll be buying a ML403 development board which
> includes all the goodies (e.g. dual Ethernet, 8 MB Flash, 64 MB SDRAM,
> Compact Flash interface, etc.)
>
> Questions.
>
> 1. I suppose the processor I start with is libcpu/powerpc/ppc403 - is
> this correct?
>
> 2. As for the BSP, do I start with libbsp/powerpc/gen405 - is this correct?
>
> Anyway, I would be happy to share my experiences, time allowing of
> course, and of course any hints or pointers would be greatly
> appreciated!  If others are interested in collaborating, or just want to
> see how it's going, let me know...

I are looking at  Virtex-II Pro FG456 development board, which is very
similar to ML403 (Virtex-4 FPGA).  Virtex-4 have better DPS supports,
and slightly faster processor power, but it has no RocketI/Os support
yet, which is what we need.

We will be interested in collaborating and see how it's going.

Kate