edb7312 and SkyeEye followup - SUCCESS

Thu Dec 15 19:33:28 UTC 2005

Jay Monkman wrote:
> Karel Gardas wrote:
>
>>Jay,
>>
>>that's great news! Are there any chance to get SkyEye NIC working with
>>RTEMS? If so, then the real fun for us distribute systems folks starts...
>

> And I just tested CVS head, and it worked as well. (with the patch).
>
> If the NIC emulation works, you should be able to write a driver for it. It does
> seem odd to me that writing to a valid register (INTMR3) crashes the simulator.
> So I can't guess at the effort needed to get the network interface working.

The BSP has a network driver.  It is for the on-CPU NIC right?

If so, then it should just be a matter of figuring out how to setup the
simulator to host part.

FWIW there are also cs8900a and rtl8019 simulator chunks in the source.

On Linux hosts, I see code try to open /dev/net/tun for some tunneling
interface and these printfs if things are broken:

  "-----------------------------------------------------------\n");
  "NOTICE: you should be root at first !!!\n");
  "NOTICE: you should inmod linux kernel net driver tun.o!!!\n");
  "NOTICE: if you don't make device node, you should do commands:\n");
  "NOTICE:    mkdir /dev/net; mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200\n");
  "NOTICE: now the net simulation function can not support!!!\n");
  "NOTICE: Please read SkyEye.README and try again!!!\n");
  "-----------------------------------------------------------\n");

And this in the README:

#----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# below is the net config info
# state=on/off means simulated NIC is wired or not,
# mac=.... means the mac addr in simulated NIC,
# ethmod=tuntap/vnet means the virtual driver used in host evnironment,
# hostip=... means the ip address in host environment to interactive
with skyeye.
# format: state=on/off mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ethmod=tuntap/vnet
hostip=dd.dd.dd.dd
# *********NOTICE**********
#If you run two more skyeyes at the same time,
# please use different skyeye.conf for each skyeye instance, and only one
# skyeye run first and related skyeye.conf content has hostip value:
#     ......
#     net: ... ethmod=vnet, hostip=ddd.ddd.ddd.ddd
#  other skyeye.conf should has content(hostip[0] should be 0):
#     net: ... ethmod=vnet, hostip=0.ddd.ddd.ddd
net: state=on, mac=0:4:3:2:1:f, ethmod=tuntap, hostip=10.0.0.1

I have the "tun" device setup for qemu on my laptop and not available
here but it looks very similar to that.  The tunneling interface must be
there and then it should work if it did on HW.  here is a link to an
RTEMS post on qemu with the tunneling interface:

http://www.rtems.com/ml/rtems-users/2004/november/msg00307.html

--joel