MSDOS FS / MMC / rtems_io_register_name too many

Thomas Doerfler (nt) Thomas.Doerfler at imd-systems.de
Fri Dec 30 20:27:33 UTC 2005

Pavel,

Pavel Pisa schrieb:

> Hello Thomas and others,
>

> I have one question related to RTEMS block devices.
>
> I observe, that rtems_io_register_name() reports "too many"
> in RTEMS-051009 checkout during my driver registration.
> Base filesystem holding /dev entry is full version of IMFS.

RTEMS objects have a static allocation scheme. The "too_manny" error
signals, that you cannot create a new object because it would exceed the
object storage. In your case, either the "maximum devices" (most
probable) or "maximum_drivers" or "number_of_device_drivers" entries
should be increased, see your "system.h" file and the "confdefs.h" which
is included there.

wkr,

Thomas.

> The message is not fatal, the device node is populated in fact correctly
> and subsequent operations works well. But it is not elegant to ignore
> this status report.
>
> Have you some idea, what could be cause of the problem?
>
> Thanks a successful year 2006 wishes
>
>                 Pavel Pisa
>
> Code in question
>
> #define MMCSD_DEVICE_NAME "/dev/mmcsd"
>
> rtems_status_code
> mmcsd_driver_init(void)
> {
>         int ret;
>         rtems_status_code  status;
>
>         ret=mmcsd_init();
>         if (ret != MMCSD_OK){
>                 ul_logerr("mmcsd_driver_init: low level initialization (mmcsd_init) failed\n");
>                 return RTEMS_NOT_DEFINED;
>         }
>
>         status = rtems_io_register_driver(0,&mmcsd_driver_table,&mmcsd_major);
>         if (status != RTEMS_SUCCESSFUL){
>                 ul_logerr("mmcsd_driver_init: rtems_io_register_driver %s\n",rtems_status_text(status));
>                 return status;
>         }
>
>         status = rtems_io_register_name( MMCSD_DEVICE_NAME, mmcsd_major, 0);
>         if (status != RTEMS_SUCCESSFUL){
>                 ul_logerr("mmcsd_driver_init: rtems_io_register_name %s\n",rtems_status_text(status));
>                 return status;
>         }
>
>         return RTEMS_SUCCESSFUL;
> }