ppc multlibs and BSP removal was Re: powerpc altivec support

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Feb 10 16:10:51 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 06:32 -0600, Joel Sherrill  wrote:
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >>Some PPCs have 16byte caches [860] most 32 byte.
> >>In any way - before considering a multilib
> >>
> >>   a) check the implications of always using 32byte alignment by default
> >>      [user with special demands such as squeeze ram might need to rebuild
> >>      a new configuration].
> >>   b) if that's not practical, consider a run-time check. Cache line size
> >>      can easily be determined at startup and read from a variable.

> >>Might be an ABI issue anyways. AFAIK, malloc() must return memory
> >>aligned properly for any data type (except vectors, altivec has
> >>a special allocator).
> >>
> >>SYSV demands that long double variables shall be 16-byte aligned,
> >>EABI relaxes this to 8-byte alignment.

> >>So far, we really only have SYSV vs EABI
> >
> > OK - But, what do we have: SYSV or EABI?
> >
> > We have PPC_ABI_EABI set in RTEMS, we have -nno-eabi in GCC and seem to
> > be using sysv rules in GCC.
> >
> > => We are back to PR195
>
> I think we are using EABI not System V.

Well, as I understand it from digging in GCC's and RTEMS sources,
powerpc-rtems-gcc defaults to "sysv-eabi" (whatever this is).

All I can say is:

* we are using -mcall-sysv.
AFAIU, this means we are using SYSV calling conventions.

* The default stack boundary (This is the term GCC uses) is 8.

* -mno-eabi switches the stack boundary to 16.

* Explicitly passing -meabi doesn't seem to have any effect on the stack
boundary. Therefore, I conclude the implicit default is -meabi.

* ATM, the multilibs are being built *explicitly* using -mno-eabi,
i.e. newlib and GCC's libs are being built with a stack boundary of 16.
According to a comment in rs6000.c, this implies they are EABI and SYSV
compatible.

* There doesn't seem to be a preprocessor define denoting if using EABI
or SYSV.

So - what are we using? I don't know.

AFAIU, we are using SYSV for newlib/GCC (-mno-eabi -mcall-sysv) and a
corrupted multilib'ed cpukit (-mno-eabi -mcall-sysv -DPPC_ABI_EABI).

> > Partial correction:
> > I don't see such an animal in GCC, but I see one in RTEMS.
> >
> > The m602 seems to be wanting to use
> > #define PPC_HAS_FPU 1
> > #define PPC_HAS_DOUBLE 0
> >
> > PPC_HAS_DOUBLE is primarily used in task-switches, so I am wondering
> > what PPC_HAS_DOUBLE actually means:
> > * The CPU lack some (double) instructions, therefore requires a
> > customized task-switch. Makes me wonder, what happens with GCC generated
> > FPU code on these CPUs.
> > * The CPU needs customization because it lacks a feature.
>
> The 602 manual definitely confirms it has a 32-bit FPU.  I haven't found
> yet what it does for doubles except the "emulation" keyword in the
> description.  I would leave the code in and let's not worry about it as
> a multilib variant.  Trip it ONLY if explicitly built with 602 defined
> after doing the multilib checks.  I believe gcc does care about this
> feature and will generate 64-bit lds/stores.
>
> As a practical matter, no one that I know if is using this CPU.  Don't
> completely kill it, just don't waste CPU cycles building a multilib
> specifically for it.
OK, that's doable.

Ralf