MVME5500 status, and on to PMC interrupts

Peter Dufault dufault at hda.com
Sun Feb 27 23:31:07 UTC 2005

I've made some progress with the MVME5500 and I'm starting to see
what's up with the PCI stuff.

By using the "BSP_PCIxFindDevice" instead of BSP_PciFindDevice in the
mvme5500 tree and keepintg track of which "pci_num" the PMC modules
were found on, I could then use "PCIx_read_config_dword" and friends to
get both of the two PMC boards mounted on the MVME5500 working, or at
least decoded into I/O space and with assigned interrupts.

The PMC card on the other side of the DEC bridge on the PMC_SPAN
daughter card seems to return data, but any attempts to access the
returned address space crashes.  I assume the cleanup that needs to be
done to the PCI code is to fold everything into the shared PCI
directory and properly hand in that pci_num.  I still don't understand
this completely, though, since the PCIx functions seem to have four
values: PCI number, bus, slot, and function and not just the three I'd
heard mentioned before.

I next tried to install interrupt handlers.  There are disconcerting
Intel PIC comments in the interrupt handler code that should be cleaned
up.  I used BSP_install_rtems_irq_handler to install what I thought
would work, and caused the board to generate an interrupt, and I could
see from its registers that it thought it was generating an interrupt,
but nothing happened.  That's when I found out that the "Marvell
GT64260 system controller" on the MVME5500 is undocumented, and that
you need an NDA to get the documentation or even to talk to technical
support at Marvell.

So if anyone knows how to enable the PMC interrupts on the MVME5500,
I'd love to know.

Petr

Peter Dufault
HD Associates, Inc.