[rtems-users] Re: tar filesystem

Mon Feb 7 19:49:47 UTC 2005

Till Straumann wrote:
> D. Peter Siddons wrote:
>
>>  It has been on my to-do list to use this feature for some time, for a
>>  similar application to Eric's. Since the calls are documented in the
>>  manuals I had assumed they existed! Naive, I suppose... Pete.
>

> I am using rtems_tarfs_load() in my GeSys application (RTEMS-4.6.2/psim)
> and it works fine... It also builds without hacking.

It was accidentally dropped from a Makefile.am in the post 4.6
Makefile.am reduction. Just unlucky that no one noticed it.

Just to repeat.. libmisc/untar loads a tar image generically into a
filesystem of any type and should be portable.   It forces the
filesystem to create new fiels and storage for them.

The IMFS load tar code is similar and from the same author if I recall
correctly.  But it has a critical difference -- it leaves the file
contents in Flash/ROM and only allocates the IMFS control information
from RAM.  So you an 90+% of the benefit of a true ROM filesystem with
a fraction of the code of a new filesystem.  Plus you use tar to create
the ROM image -- not some new host tool which we would have to develop
and keep in sync.

--joel