Something screwed up in PROJECT_ROOT or PROJECT_TOPdir

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Tue Feb 22 17:04:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 10:29 -0600, Chris Caudle wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 February 2005 10:16 am, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > I am able to reproduce this effect (cd /) with ash under FC3
>
> Isn't ash the shell that is always causing problems under Cygwin?
I don't know if it still is, but it had been cause of a lot of headache
in the past.

> Is this getting to the point that the build instructions are going to have to
> include explicit instructions to not use ash as the build shell?
I don't know yet which shell Peter is using. He's on FreeBSD :-)

In general, I do not recommend using ash as shell because it is known to
be the cause of troubles in many cases. However, as most shells have had
(temporary) problems at some points in their history (comprising bash,
zsh, ksh, pdksh), so explicitly "discouraging using ash" might be a bit
strong.

However if Peter's shell shows to be ash, and if cygwin users can
confirm current Cygwin's ash to be the cause of build failures, I'll
agree to you.

Anyway, I hope to have fixed at least the spot which seems to have
triggered Peter's issue within the next couple of hours - test builds
are in progress :-)

Ralf