Can I add to an installed RTEMS tree?

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Tue Jan 11 16:49:00 UTC 2005

Ralf -

Thanks for your note.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf Corsepius [mailto:ralf.corsepius at rtems.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 10:27 AM
To: RTEMS Users
Subject: Re: Can I add to an installed RTEMS tree?

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 08:48 -0500, Mills, John M. wrote:

> Ideally I would like to add those RTEMS members that come with the
> "--enable-tests" configuration option, but rebuild as little as possible
of
> my presently configured installation. Is this practical,

RC> Just treat your "examples" as ordinary applications outside of the
RC> source tree and use the tools you are familiar with.

Makes sense - That's the way the other examples are installed. Then I can
remove those branches when I am satisfied.

I'll look under 'rtems-4.6.2/c/crc/tests' and build them separately,
elsewhere.

> or should I delete
> my 'build' tree and reconfigure from scratch?

RC> You actually want to _install_ RTEMS and use this installed tree for
RC> your BSP ("Use your BSP"). You only need the source tree in case of
RC> working on your BSP.

I have already installed RTEMS and am gradually learning what I need to
keep. This will later influence the way we set up our code management.

> Target is powerpc-rtems and host is Cygwin. I have also installed
> RTEMS-4.6.2 in a RedHat-7.3/GNU/Linux box and was relieved to have the
same
> three BSP 'build' problems as in Cygwin: both environments seem to agree
on
> the breakage.

RC> Such general remarks are very little helpful. Better provide fixes,
RC> check rtems-4-6-branch in CVS for if are fixed and file PRs on each of
RC> them into RTEMS Gnats in case they have not yet been fixed.

Sorry, please excuse me.

Specifically, I have not been able to build 'tmtests/tm27' for the following
BSPs: mvme2307, mcp750, and mtx603e. The problem seems to be the IRQ macros
in their respective 'bsp.h's (which are all the same file:
'rtems-4.6.2/c/src/lib/libbsp/powerpc/shared/include/bsp.h').

You previously advised me to check for CVS updates - I did look, but not
successfully:

 1) At this location I am blocked by the corporate firewall except for the
'generic' http and ftp ports, and
 2) When I checked for changed files, I didn't see an updated 'bsp.h' in
connection with these BSPs, but I may well have missed it.

I'll recheck from a site where I can freely access the RTEMS CVS server.

Perspective:
My current interest in those BSPs is only to know whether my installation is
usable: I don't expect to run them. I will be using 'psim' until we select a
specific target.

Therefore I am quite happy to have what appears a successful installation.

Thanks again.

Regards.
 - Mills

John M. Mills