How should use 'powerpc-rtems-gdb' to debug an RTEMS application under simualtion?

Mills, John M. Mills.J at ems-t.com
Wed Jan 12 19:15:43 UTC 2005

All -

I want to step through a compiled RTEMS example with my 'powerpc-rtems-gdb'
running on a simulated target. My examples build and run from the console
using the 'psim' script.

To debug: I invoke 'powerpc-rtems-gdb', get the (gdb) prompt, enter 'target
sim', get a confirmation, enter 'file <filename>', get confirmation that the
symbols were read, then enter 'run'.

I get:
 'Starting program: <filename>'
 'Don't know how to run. Try "help target"'

If I enter
(gdb) sim test
it looks closer to success in that it tries to invoke 'psim', but still
doesn't run.

I expect I should do something analogous to the simulator setup in the
'psim' script, but don't know what's needed. (I would then save the setup in
a file to load into 'gdb' before a run.)

Environment:
 Cygwin, RTEMS-4.6.2, gdb-6.0 w/RTEMS patches.

Could someone please enlighten me?

TIA
 - Mills

John M. Mills