GCC 3.4.x + RTEMS 4.6.2 release.

Ralf Corsepius ralf.corsepius at rtems.org
Thu Jan 13 11:31:07 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 11:56 +0100, Karel Gardas wrote:
> Hello Ralf,
>
> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-01-13 at 11:24 +0100, Karel Gardas wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > since I have kind of strange issues with gcc3.2.3 as adviced to be used
> > > with 4.6.2 release in its documentation, I would like to ask if anybody
> > > here does have some experience with gcc 3.4.x with the latest RTEMS
> > > release.
> >
> > Well, gcc-3.4.x is not supported by rtems-4.6.x at all, because all
> > GCC > 3.2.x related development is taking place in RTEMS-CVS/HEAD.
>
> Thanks for this note. I would also like to ask you in which state is RTEMS
> trunk.
IMO (but of cause I am biased), current RTEMS-CVS is pretty stable in
general, but there exist several target-specific toolchain issues and
issues with some BSPs.

ATM, the main issue is GCC and newlib. AFAICT,

- The RTEMS-4.2.x gcc-3.2.x-toolchains should be applicable to with
rtems-CVS "out of the box"
- GCC-3.3.x and GCC-3.4.x should be sufficently usable for most targets,
however RTEMS is known to trigger bugs in GCC for some targets,
comprising some major targets (eg. arm, m68k; Check GCC's bugzilla for
target "rtems" for details).
- GCC-4.0 is slowly reaching a usable stage. IMO, gcc-4.0 (C-only)
already is superior to gcc-3.x for many targets. At least several of the
bugs RTEMS had exposed in gcc-3.3.x/gcc-3.4.x don't seem to be present
in gcc-4.0, anymore. However, until yesterday, g++-4.0 did not even
build at all for any rtems target. Joel and I are just about to fix
these roadblocks.

>  i.e. it don't need to be rock-solid for my experiments, I just
> need pc386 BSP and tool-chain with the latest/greatest C++ support which
> is possible to get for it.
>
> As I'm looking into ftp now, there are several versions of binutils,
> newlib, gdb and their patches available. Could you be so kind and
> recommend me some combination which you would consider the most stable for
> pc386 BSP (stable in a means of C++/libstdc++ development)?
For development, I am currently using
* binutils-2.15 w/o any patches.
* GCC-3.4-branch and GCC-HEAD (aka. GCC-4.0) without any patches rsp.
with local patches I am planning to commit to GCC in near future
applied.
* newlib-CVS + the newlib-patch I sent to this list a couple of days ago
applied.

Ralf