GCC 3.4.x + RTEMS 4.6.2 release.

Thu Jan 13 12:14:28 UTC 2005

Karel Gardas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> since I have kind of strange issues with gcc3.2.3 as adviced to be used
> with 4.6.2 release in its documentation, I would like to ask if anybody
> here does have some experience with gcc 3.4.x with the latest RTEMS
> release. The patch gcc-3.4.0-rtems-20040510.diff on ftp.rtems.com looks
> really small. Does it means that every rtems related change against older
> gcc versions are already merged into the 3.4.x branch?

We have experimented with gcc 3.4.x and IMO it is not suitable for
use with RTEMS.  My recollection is that about 1/2 of the RTEMS targets
have very obvious problems -- either gcc won't build completely
or give a compiler error while building RTEMS.

We spent a long time getting the 3.3 series good enough to use
for C/C++.  I decided that with gcc 4.0 so close, it would be
more prudent to put the effort into making sure 4.0.0 is
usable from the RTEMS perspective.

So you should be able to use 3.3.5 with RTEMS 4.6.2 but there
is no "official" patch to match.  I would guess that the current
snapshot 3.3.5 patch is OK if you stick with the newlib
version and patch that matched the release.