PCI lookup issue: 3c905C-TX not found by RTEMS.

gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 18 21:41:22 UTC 2005

Karel Gardas writes:
 > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Karel Gardas wrote:
 >
 > I've tested your code again right now, and it is also not able to find my
 > card. Debug messages claim that BSP_pciFindDevice function returns -1 for
 > every 3com tested NIC including my 10b7/9200.

That is because your card is likely not on bus 0, and unless I'm
mistaken Till's patch will only test bus 0.

 > BTW: Just for the record, there were several OSes installed in this box
 > with this card and all does not have any issue with it: RedHat 9, Debian
 > GNU/Linux 3.0, OpenBSD 3.4, FreeBSD 4.7 (still installed and used for
 > uploading RTEMS images). -- so I think pci/pcibios is functional there...

Undoubtably- but the i386 pci support on RTEMS is not complete.  In
cases where the bios leaves the entire pci bus tree preconfigured to
ms-dos defaults that pc software classically assume, drivers might be
able to simply start using addresses and hope for the best.

The dec21140 and etherlink drivers search the pci bus tree for their
device(s) which can be many pci bridge hops away from bus 0, and in
some cases, may not be configured at all by the system boot.  But for
the searching to succeed, the entire tree of pci busses must be
configured first.  I think this is where the trouble is.

Gregm