PCI lookup issue: 3c905C-TX not found by RTEMS.

Karel Gardas kgardas at objectsecurity.com
Tue Jan 18 22:35:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> Karel Gardas writes:
>  > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 gregory.menke at gsfc.nasa.gov wrote:
>  >
>  > >  > By your `I think the next thing to do in this case is to instrument the
>  > >  > function with printk's and see how the nested loops work.' -- do you mean
>  > >  > BusCountPCI function?
>  > >  >
>  > >
>  > > Yes- but your results above suggest 1 is the return value anyhow- so
>  > > no need for further work that way.
>  > >
>  > > As a test, try hardcoding the BusCountPCI() to return 2, that way the
>  > > device scan routine will at least try other busses.
>  >
>  > Unfortunatelly it is not found on second bus too... Should I go ahead and
>  > test 3th bus?
>  >

> It wouldn't hurt.  You might also consult your bios settings, ensure
> ACPI and "PnP OS" are both disabled.  Some bios's don't have a "PnP"
> related option, instead giving a list of installed operating systems-
> in that case, choose something like "Other" or "DOS".

Mine does have `PnP OS Installed' and it is set to `No'. Then there is
also `Resource Controlled By' option which is set to `Auto', when I switch
it to `Manual' I have an option to set various IRQs/DMAs to either `Legacy
ISA' or to `PCI/ISA PnP', so I leave it on Auto. Next option is `Reset
Configuration Data' which is `Disabled'. Next is `CPU to PCI Write Buffer'
which is `Enabled'. Next is `PCI Master Broken Timer' which is `Disabled'.
Next is `PCI IRQ Actived By' which is set to `Level' and its second
possible value is `Edge' and the last option in whole `PNP/PCI
configuration' section is `Assign IRQ For VGA' which is `Enabled'
The BIOS is quite old ((c) 1984-2000) Award...

> If neither helps, then I think we'll have to modify things to
> inventory each bus you can talk to, looking for bridges and then
> looking behind them.  We might run across something disabled which is
> limiting access to some downstream busses.  I guess we'll essentially
> be debugging the hack-ed in functions.

I'm for going this route, since basicaly I would like to use this machine
for RTEMS netwroking testing, as Qemu does not seems to be good for
networking... So any hack how to make 3com NIC recognized is highly
welcome here.

Thanks,
Karel
Karel Gardas                  kgardas at objectsecurity.com